Thursday, 15 May 2014

Milk Buns | Recipe


Today I'm very excited to share with you my latest culinary obsession - my little 'milk' buns (something like pain-au-lait in french, or pão-de-leite in portuguese). 
Now, making bread at home may sound like to much trouble when you can just go to the shop and get some...but trust me, these are no trouble at all and they're so, so worth it! 

The recipe is really simple and fairly quick, they taste great (especially with just butter, right out of the oven...hmmmm) and, as a bonus, your home will smell like a bakery! 


for 9 buns:
1 egg
50g butter (2 Tb spoons)
1,25dl water (1/3 cup)
1,25dl milk (1/3 cup)
25g yeast (fresh yeast)
60g sugar (5 table spoons)
500g flour (4 ½ cups)
pinch of salt
(optional: one egg yolk and sugar for the topping)

Start by dissolving the yeast in lukewarm water (about 30.C). I use water from the tap, it's perfectly fine. Then add the milk, also warm. Let that rest while you measure the other ingredients, so the yeast starts activating.

Put everything in a big bowl, including the liquids with the yeast, but leave about 1/3 of the flour out. The butter should be at room temperature (or 20 sec in the microwave if you, like me, always forget to take it out of the fridge in time). 
Mix the dough very well using the spiral attachment on your electric mixer (the one on the photo above). Add the remaining flour and mix all very well again. 

Cover the bowl with kitchen plastic film, or a clean plastic bag and a rubber band, and place it in a warm place. I normally place it next to the radiator, covered with a tea towel. Let it rest for about 30min to 1 hour. The dough should rise a lot and get full of air inside (looks kind of like an alien nest, but that's all right).

Shape the buns and place them on an oven tray covered with parchment paper. I roll them in a bit of flour to help shaping them. And they don't need to be very big, I normally make 9. Let them rest there for 30 more min. They will grow a bit more and look really pretty. 

Before putting the buns in a pre-heated oven at 225.C, you can get a nice finishing touch by brushing some egg yolk on top and then sprinkling it with sugar. I normally make half like this (because it reminds me of the buns I had when I was a child) and the other half just plain.

Bakes for 12 to 15 minutes depending on the oven.

photography by | life as a moodboard |


Pretty simple right? 
As always, if you give it a try I'd love to hear about it.




1 comment:

  1. Anonymous24.5.14

    They look so nice! I'll definitely bake them. Thanks for the recipe:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...